ShareThis

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Favorite Child


I've been staying at a friend's house for the past few days and we have known each other for a long time.
... I think it's been 13ish years?
Anyway... we have children who are the same age. Her son is 2 months younger than my daughter (almost 4), and her daughter is 2 months younger than my son (almost 1). When we were talking about the trials of having a 3yr old, it slipped... I knew it was coming and so did she, but there was no stopping it.
She did what NO parent is supposed to do. It's unheard of and instantly makes you a terrible parent.
... or does it?
Lets just get down to business, shall we?
Is the suspense killing you?
She said her daughter (9 months old) is her FAVORITE of the two children! Her hand quickly covered her own mouth in complete shock and gave the "deer caught in headlights" look. Can this be true? Is it possible to have a "favorite" child? At first, I thought there was no way she could mean this... maybe she was tired or was suffering from that mommy syndrome called Lack of Sleep.
Or maybe she has a point...
When you're a mother of more than one pooping machine, you instantly start having doubts when you get the positive pregnancy test for baby #2.
"How can I love this new baby as much as I love baby #1?"
"Will I treat them both the same?"
"Will everything be fair?"
The answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT! You will not do everything the way you did the first time around. Why? Because you LEARNED from your starter child. Think of them as "Trial & Error" baby.
We've all seen the awesome Luv's commercials and they're right, we become a pro with baby #2.
And those of you who have a 3yr old KNOW... yeah... you know.
The reason age 2 is "terrible" is because 3 is SO traumatizing, your mind forces you to forget about it completely so you don't go on a baby killing frenzy. It's your body's way of protecting child #2.
So after giving this some major thought, I understand my dear friend. I also had to watch her son for two days while she was in & out of the hospital with her daughter... and I have to say, he acts like your typical 3 yr old. No wonder she likes the baby more... for now.
But this will change all too quickly, the teen years are coming and probably too fast.
Take it from a mom who has a "little" girl who's 3 going on 13.

Tarah
Single mama of two pooping machines.

No comments:

Post a Comment